Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, yesterday arrested Rochas Okorocha, an All Progressives Congress, APC, presidential aspirant. Operatives of the commission took over his Abuja premises on Tuesday after the former Imo Governor allegedly refused to honour an invitation.
2. A former lawmaker representing Kogi West, Senator Dino Melaye, has lost the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) ticket to a serving House of Representatives member, Hon. T. J. Yusuf. In the primary election conducted on Tuesday, Hon. T. J. Yusuf defeated Sen. Dino Melaye by 163 to 99 votes to pick the PDP ticket.
3. The Federal Government, yesterday, said it will spend about N34 billion as arrears of Minimum Wage Consequential Adjustments in the education sector effective from 2019. The Minister of Labour and Employment, Sen. Chris Ngige said that this was aimed at resolving the lingering crisis in the sector, particularly with the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
4. Gov. Okezie Ikpeazu, on Tuesday, won the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) ticket to contest for Abia South Senatorial District seat in the 2023 general election. Gov. Ikpeazu, the lone aspirant, emerged unopposed as the party’s candidate at the Enyimba International Stadium, Aba.
5. At least 15 farmers were reportedly killed when bandits stormed Gakurdi village in Jibia Local Government Area of Katsina State on Tuesday. The development comes hours after over 40 farmers were slaughtered by Boko Haram fighters in Borno State.
6. The Arewa Youth Consultative Forum (AYCF) has said that the killing of Northerners in the South-East presupposes an ethnic cleansing agenda. AYCF in a statement by its National President, Alhaji Yerima Shettima, warned governors in the South-East to take urgent steps to “end the killing of innocent Northerners or face the legal consequences of their inaction”.
7. There was pandemonium in the Ibafo axis of Ogun State on Tuesday as soldiers and suspected cultists clashed. It was gathered that one soldier was shot dead during the clash.
8. The Lagos State Emergency Agency has debunked reports that a plane crash-landed in the Ikeja area of the State on Tuesday. The agency officials noted when speaking with reporters yesterday that nothing of such happened.
9. A frontline aspirant for Southern Borno senatorial district on the platform of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Alhaji Idris Durkwa, on Sunday, escaped death when some unknown gunmen ambushed his convoy with his teaming supporters and opened fire along the Maiduguri-Damaturu road, leading to the death of two policemen, with several others sustaining various degrees of injuries.
10. The Indigenous People of Biafra has warned the Coalition of Northern Groups against embarking on killing any Igbo, saying they should not embark on a fight that would not end. The organisation was reacting to threats by the CNG to retaliate against the alleged killing of their kinsmen in the South-East.